In its earliest days, Sapulpa was known as "Sapulpa Station," the juncture of two railroads. The junction, named in honor of Chief Sapulpa, the area's first settler, was Sapulpa's first major connection. Now, interstate, state and local highways all connect in Sapulpa.
The town was named after Chief James Sapulpa, the area's first permanent settler, who was a full-blood Lower Creek Indian of the Kasihta Tribe from Osocheetown, Alabama. In about 1850, he established a trading post near the meeting of Polecat and Rock creeks (about one mile (1.6 km) southeast of present-day downtown Sapulpa). When the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad (later known as the Frisco railroad) built a spur to this area in 1886, it was known as Sapulpa Station. Sapulpa post office was chartered July 1, 1889. The town was incorporated March 31, 1898.
We want to take this opportunity to thank all of the area business in and around Sapulpa for helping keep the stage lights on at the Sapulpa Community Theatre.